Thursday, January 3, 2008

Las Brisas - Laguna Beach

Las Brisas
361 Cliff Drive
Laguna Beach, CA 92651
949.497.5434
Type: Mexican food / restaruant
Website
Map





So I finally took notes on some of the restaurants I visited. My first victim is Las Brisas in Laguna Beach. It's a classy Mexican seafood restaurant. I was in the area and so my girl and I wanted to eat at a place with a good seaside view. She said she's been to Las Brisas before, and said it was good, so there we were.

It was the day after Christmas so we had to wait about 15 minutes for a table next to a window. I didn't want any birds shitting on me or my food outside. We ordered a beer each-- which cost $6 per bottle. It was just some regular Pacifico and Stella beers. The only time I'll usually pay for a $6 bottle of regular beer is at a club. Never do that again.

We finally get our table, and the view is great. The pictures don't do the actual scene justice. The part of the restaurant facing the beach is full of tall/wide windows.

I love when you get free bread or some kind of appetizer right away, even while you're still ordering your food. The waiter gave us bread with butter, kind of like what they do at Cheesecake Factory or similar places. I always end up eating a whole mess of bread before the food comes.

So we ordered the calamari ($10) to start off with. For calamari, I like the squid to be thin cuz it gets chewy the thicker it gets. These were a little thick for me. The sauce that covered it was good, but overall, I've tasted better and cheaper.

decent calamari


Then there's the seafood enchilada with the fish of the day-- which was yellowtail. The yellowtail was pretty good, but the enchilada was "ehh" to me.

16 dollars of "ehh"


The red snapper filet-- also $16, was a little better. The sauce was good. It's not worth its price though.

red snapper filet... better if a lot cheaper


As I write this review, I've come to the conclusion that the prices of the meals are bumped up a few dollars because you get a nice view. Sure the food is presented nicely, but I just wasn't feeling their delivery. I'm sure a lot of people love it here, but my girl and I were a little disappointed with the food. The good thing is that we ate so much bread that we took home most of the food to eat later. So in a sense, we paid for two meals! Yay!

Would I go back here? I'll try other places first, or if I really have to be here, I'll try totally different things than what we got that day.

cheers for six dollar beers! ....sike

No comments: