Thursday, November 8, 2007

One World Vegetarian Cuisine, West Covina

One World Vegetarian Cuisine
178 S. Glendora Ave
West Covina, CA 91790
Phone: (626) 917-2727
Type: Vegetarian food




West Covina isn't known for its abundance of veggie restaurants. It isn't exactly Santa Cruz, Frisco, or L.A where you'll run into one at every shopping plaza. But it's what I call home. Luckily, One World popped up in a Google search when I was looking for veggie eateries. What?! It's just 5 minutes away? Aight, I'll try it...

I've been going to One World since it was 2 weeks old. I don't know how many years it's been (maybe 3-5) but that place is still going strong and getting more popular. They add items to their menus every once in awhile, but I usually stick to their OG dishes.
When you first come to One World I would recommend getting the sauteed garlic veggie beef balls. I don't know what it's made of exactly, but I know it ain't meat, and it's baamb!

Sauteed Garlic Veggie Beef Balls


I've ordered most of their dishes there, and none of them really suck. Maybe one complaint I would have is that some of the portions are kinda small for my appetite, but I eat like a fat ass. Besides, most of those who eat at veggie restaurants don't eat much anyway-- I'm assuming. The prices aren't exactly cheap, but they're not even close to stupid expensive. Take a look at the MENU and see for yourself. Even if you're not vegetarian I recommend you give this place a shot. It's located near the Edwards Cinema near the West Covina mall. Save the cows!

Eggplant w/ veggie ground meat


UPDATE (11/15/07):

So I received a comment about this post a couple weeks ago. It turns out somebody (Linda) at One World liked my honest review of their place. She offered me a free dish on my next visit. What's that you say? FREE food? Let me think about it... I guess I'll go. Yeah right! I was so happy when I read that comment that I told all my friends. They were happy for me, but not as happy as I was for myself. I guess giving an honest review pays off. Who wouldn't mind getting free food at a place you love to eat at? And anyways, who would want free food at a place you don't think is great? Actually some people (including myself).

Anyways, I took Linda up on her offer and took 3 other people. They consisted of my girl and two very non-vegetarians. For those who haven't been to One World, or haven't been in a while, they have expanded and took over the business next door. I didn't go to that other side but from what I saw, it was a bakery/pastries/desserts section. They've been gaining in popularity still. I wouldn't be surprised if they open another location soon.

Linda wasn't there so I didn't have much conversation about the new place and renovations. A big change that I noticed was their menu. The names of everything have been changed. For example, there's no more sauteed garlic veggie beef balls. It's now the Golden Masterpiece. The veggie steak is now the Patriotic Royale. They're trying to get away from associating themselves with meat-- is what I'm assuming because everything in there is vegan. Their desserts are also vegan. That's one thing I haven't tried in my many many visits here. I never leave room for the closers. Next time.

So we ordered our food and chatted about the place... yada yada yada. Our appetizers came first and we got the Universal Paradise Sushi ($4.25). We got two orders of those. They look like plain cucumber rolls or something but they're pretty good. They put some veggie meat in there. I've had them before.

(Sorry. I didn't take pictures for some reason. Just go there and look for yourself.)

We also ordered their regular-sized Majestic Soup ($6.50). That's the smallest size that you can order that I know of, and it's enough for 3-4 people. One recommendation to One World would be to add individual-size orders of soup. The soup was peppery but good. We all killed it.

My lady got the Grilled Teriyaki Kabobs ($7.50). I ordered this before and I wasn't a fan. I should've told her to order something else because it was too dry for me. It's always been like that. It's not bad the first few bites, but after a while it gets repetitive. We were told that this was one of the more popular dishes, so go ahead and try it if you really want.

What I do always order is the sauteed garlic veggie beef balls-- I mean the Golden Masterpiece. It's just some small pieces of veggie beef that's flavored right. They came out crispy this time. Me like. If they don't give you any, make sure to ask for the clear sauce for this. It just adds juiciness to the dish.

My friend got the Imperial Eggplant ($6.95). It's eggplant in some sauce with veggie ground beef. He said he wanted to order authentic vegetarian that didn't include meat, but he still got this one. Anyways, he can be a tough critic. Like I said he's very a very non-vegetarian, steak-loving, football-watching kind of guy. He said the dish was good. He liked my veggie beef balls (know what I'm sayin!!!) and said "anything deep fried is bomb."

My other friend got the Yin and Yang Serendipity ($7.50). It's kind of like orange chicken we were told. I tried some and it was good. I haven't had real orange chicken for so many years now, but I don't think the taste and texture were the same. Regardless, still good. It came drenched in the sauce. Good stuff. My friend liked it. Although he said he didn't know what to do with the veggies served with it. I told him, "you eat them."

No dessert this time, but like I said, I'll make room next time. The food was great as always. The staff was very friendly and helpful to us. One of the best things about the meal was when the bill came. Instead of giving us one free dish, they took half off the bill! If you wanna do the math, that's waay more than one dish is worth!

I want to thank Linda and the rest of the One World staff for this great experience and for all my past visits. I will definitely be back. Thanks and go Prop 2!

P.S. I was told by my friends the bathrooms are really nice and clean. I'll check that out next time as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Just happened to see your blog about our restaurant. Thanks for the great review!

Please feel free to print this out and come in for an extra generous portion of your favorite One World Veggie dish on the house!

In case you didn't know, we now have monthly All-You-Can-Eat Buffet specials.

Best and happy blogging,
Linda at One World Vegetarian Cuisine

Jim said...

Wow! Thanks for the comment, and the free dish! You're the first to give one out to me! I'll probably stop by this weekend and take you up on your offer, and you can let me know what's new/changed that you want me to post. Thanks for making my dreams come true!

imjustatree said...

This is pretty awesome man, and I'm referring to both the restaurant, and the fact that you got something free! I've rarely seen strictly vegan/vegetarian asian places, so I'll have to try this place out sometime...another on my long list of places to eat. I know roughly where this place is too.