Monday, March 10, 2008

China Garden - Irvine

China Garden
14825 Jeffrey Rd
Irvine, CA 92618
(949) 653-9988
Type: Chinese restaurant / dim sum
Map

Still in the OC. My girl wanted some dim sum, and although I'm not a fan of it myself, I agreed. I told her to find one on the internet, and she found China Garden. We went during lunch time, so it was a little busy. Most of the tables were occupied, but we got seated next to the aquarium. I'm not talking about the happy-looking, decorated, well-lit aquariums. You know the one I'm talking about. The one where the water's not too clear. The crabs or lobsters or what have you, look like they might either be sleeping or dead. Maybe I'm exaggerating a little. It's just that I feel bad for them, even though I'll end up eating them later. They gotta just sit there and wait til it's their turn. Have mercy on your souls.

After feeling bad for a little, we start getting offers from the food cart ladies. Turnip cake was first. My girl mixed chili and soy sauce together which made the cake taste pretty good.

Turnip Cake


We also got some shrimp shumai and some other shrimp stuff. For me, it tasted like any other dim sum place I've been to.

shrimp shumai and other shrimp stuff



There was this thing that my girl asked the waiter for cuz we didn't see anybody with it. It's like a thick noodle wrapped around some shrimp... again. There was some light sauce it was surrounded in. This thing was okay.



Not being totally satisfied with the various shrimps we were ordering, we got the honey walnut shrimp order ($8.50). This one wasn't part of the dim sum carts. You gotta actually order it from your waiter. The shrimps were good sized, and had a little crunch to them. The sauce was just right. For the price, it was a decent deal.

Honey walnut shrimps


I think you might've been able to tell how I feel about this place just by reading this blog. I'm still not a fan of dim sum. I know it's because I don't eat meat-- just seafood. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with this place, but you might get tired of shrimp after a while if you ate like me. A lot of people go during the lunch hours, and I've read how many love going here. If you like dim sum, and you're in Irvine, you might wanna check this place out. As for me, I gave up shrimp for Lent.

No comments: